I found these things to be fairly awesome this week:
1) My daughter had a friend sleepover at our house and instead of simply letting the kids run wild and hoping for the best, I (gasp!) PLANNED ACTIVITIES. We decorated little felt Easter bunny cutouts AND painted rocks. The title of this blog comes from my overriding parental philosophy, so carrying out two whole kid-centered activities in 24 hours is kind of a personal record for me.
2) Practice makes perfect – I painted my nails without smudging any of them. I know this doesn’t count as something spectacular for most people, but this is the results of literally years of effort on my part.
3) I am overcoming the delusion that every fashion mistake I make will be splashed across the front of a supermarket tabloid, which is why I went ahead a bought a pair of shorts. (Yes, even though I asked you guys to stop me from doing such a thing. What kind of blog friends are you, anyway?)
I keep hearing Adam Glassman’s voice in my head, saying, ‘If you’re asking yourself, “Does this make me look fat?” the answer is yes.’ I keep telling him to shut up. I will consider these shorts cheap air conditioning for the sure-to-be-sweltering summer months ahead.
4) I ate a pretzel larger than my head. With melted butter. While wearing the shorts.
5) We’re all familiar with those self-checkout lanes at stores that make us feel all super special for about three seconds – until we realize that scanning purchases is not a pleasure, it’s a chore. That’s why we pay other people to do it for us. At any rate, there are some things usually reserved for use by paid cashiers – like the gun bar code reader. I’d never had one of them in my hands before, but I got my chance to shoot my purchases before bagging this week at Ikea:
6) I’ve got the smell of woodsmoke in my clothes and hair, which I love. We have a gas fireplace at home, but nothing compares to the ritual of building an open flame at a cabin in the woods.
7) I installed Instagram on my phone and I’m messing around with it a little. Here are some shots I took at breakfast yesterday:
My kids are awesome.
That’s all for this week. Tune in next week for more awesomeness!